Monday, December 20, 2010

Its winter... you can still ride

Winter riding is not as hard as it sounds. When I looked out my window this morning I pondered if riding a bike in 4-5 inches of snow was a good idea or not. Would I need to wear a snowsuit? pads? goggles? I thought to myself "stop being such a wimp" and just go for it. I packed up my bag, put on a jacket, beanie and gloves. I really didn't need much more than that because I knew I would generate heat once I started pedaling. The key with riding in the winter or in snow is to not get TOO hot because you will then start to sweat which can quickly make you cold if you find yourself on a descent.

The next worry of mine was sliding out and crashing. I didn't care so much about myself but really didn't want to smash my computer in half. I let some air out of my tires and hoped that I could get better traction this way. This seemed to work great. Also, remember not to lean around any turns. Turns are the most dangerous part of riding in slippery conditions.

I don't know if it is because of the challenge or beautiful setting but commuting in winter depending on you route can be one of the most enjoyable times of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment