Monday, December 27, 2010

Cyclcrosser back to commuter

Okay, I was late to work today because I HAD to start riding my regular commuter again. For the past few months I had been riding an old cantankerous full suspension mountain bike and had a messenger bag with my computer in it which was destroying my back and shoulders.

My commuter, a Surley Cross-Check had been converted into a cyclocross bike. I had always wanted to race cyclocross and this season I did.  Cyclocross is awesome.  It is very laid back, muddy, dirty, cold, wet and hard. It destroys traditional elite cyclists sometimes and is just a great time. It really draws more of a mountain bike crowd because of the nature of the sport.  It is much more individualized and far less serious which is what really drew me in.  If you have never done this blow the cobwebs off your old mountain bike laying the garage, pump up the tires and go hammer away.  Even if you are not competitive there is a real camaraderie amongst this group of hooligans.

To get my cyclocross back into commuting form I had to swap out the cyclocross tires for my regular wide commuter tires, put platform pedals back on it, put fenders back on the frame and reattach my rear rack. Viola! I was back to a super fun commuter which was far more comfortable than that tank I had been on for the past 3 months.  No more brown rooster spray up the back. Bring on that bad weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment