Friday, January 7, 2011

Cycling while sick

It all started Sunday. The whole day I felt groggy. I had snowboarded all day on Friday and Saturday in blizzard-like conditions which I'm sure factored into my health somewhat, but nonetheless I was getting sick. Sunday night a sore throat which you always hope isn't there the next day got worse and my nose was starting to run. So there you go a regular old snotty, gross feeling cold. It is that time of year but I always hope I can avoid them. I wash my hands after touching everything and avoid sick people at all costs. My attempts failed me this time.

So how do you commute by bicycle when you feel awful? Honestly, sometimes you can't, but don't instantly rule it out either.

If you feel like you are good enough to go to work than you are probably good enough to commute by bike.

Here is what I do. SLOW DOWN. It is much easier to breath when you aren't pedaling as hard. You wont start sweating really either which will keep you warmer in the long run. Keep from exasperating your cold by pushing the pace. Sometimes you just need to drop a few gears and go with the flow. Pick more tranquil music (if you listen to it while cycling, not always safe) but it will help you relax.

Wear a little warmer clothes. You aren't going as fast so you wont build up as much heat. Remember you are always trying to stay as warm as possible without sweating much at all.

Lastly, have a warm drink when you get home, work or whereever you are going. This will help you stay warm and relaxed. It is easy to get chilled if you have built up a slight sweat when you arrive at your destination.

Finally, If you don't know how to do a snot rocket learn. It sounds gross but it is much less gross than snot running down your face or smeared on your sleeve.

Cycling isn't always pretty but it is often much prettier than sitting in a traffic jam sucking exhaust fumes!

No comments:

Post a Comment